10:41 am - October 25th 2013
After 8 years of running blogs as an editor, and blogging almost every day, I think it’s about time to hang up my boots. I no longer have the time to maintain Liberal Conspiracy as a daily-updated news and opinion blog, so as of today I’m going to stop. This site will become an occasionally updated personal blog, with the odd guest-post.
Eight years. That makes me a granddad in internet time. When I started blogging in August 2005, YouTube hadn’t even launched yet, let alone the widespread use of Facebook or Twitter. In total I’ve written around 3000 posts on LC (around 1 million words), and another 3000 posts on my previous group-blog Pickled Politics. Around 2 million words in total; the mind boggles.
I founded Liberal Conspiracy (with the help and support of many, many others) as a hub for left-wing opinion and news at a time there were hardly any group blogs. It was an attempts to raise our collective presence. Editorially, it was an independent and non-aligned left platform with a focus on campaigning. But the enduring success of Guardian CIF, and more recently the New Statesman and Huffington Post, have made other general opinion-blogs redundant. Frankly, there is just too much opinion out there. There is more space for news-focused blogs I think, but they require a level of time and energy I no longer possess.
With the help of its readers, this site has had some good hits. We:
- leaked the Coalition Agreement before the parties published it.
- exposed Nadine Dorries’s fundamentalist friends during her anti-abortion crusade
- exposed Jacob Rees-Mogg MPs links to the xenophobic Traditional Britain
- helped stop Rod Liddle becoming editor of the Independent
- organised the advertiser boycott of the News of the World over its phone-hacking.
- helped hobble the government’s Workfare programme
- exposed how BBC journalists were ordered to use ‘savings’ instead of ‘cuts’
- forced Newsnight to apologise for misrepresenting a single mother
… and much, much more.
This site also gave a platform to lots of people to build their name (including Laurie Penny, Owen Jones, Adam Bienkov, Ellie O’Hagan, Tim Wigmore, Tim Fenton and many others).
As for me… I’m certainly not bored of news, politics or even blogging in fact, but I just can’t dedicate the time. I’m working with the BBC to get a documentary off the ground; I’ve been invited to speak at two TEDx talks abroad (and have to prepare) on violence against women in India; I’ve started lecturing p/t at Kingston University. Plus, I want the time and space to work on new projects.
It’s time for something new. I’ll continue tweeting news and opinion of course, and occasionally blogging here and elsewhere, just not with the same vigour. Better to go on a high than when in decline. It was a good run, and a long run… but everything must eventually come to an end. Thanks for all your tips, guest posts and comments.
The pissy right-wing response to this has been a joy to read. Remember, the more vindictive they sound, the more they were burnt by my blogging.
Also, there are a few thanks I missed out for friends who went beyond just contributing to the site. Special love to: Aaron Heath, Shantel Burns, Sarah McAlpine, Jennifer O’Mahony, Ellie Cumbo and most of all, deputy-editor Dan Paskins.
Sunny Hundal is editor of LC. Also: on Twitter, at Pickled Politics and Guardian CIF.
· Other posts by Sunny Hundal
Story Filed Under: Liberal Conspiracy
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Reactions: Twitter, blogs
- Liberal Conspiracy: The Liberal Conspiracy is coming to an end (in its current form) | moonblogsfromsyb
[...] via Sunny Hundal Liberal Conspiracy http://liberalconspiracy.org/2013/10/25/the-liberal-conspiracy-is-coming-to-an-end-in-its-current-fo… [...]
- The end of Liberal Conspiracy | Hynd's Blog
[...] morning Sunny Hundal, the Editor of the left-wing blog Liberal Conspiracy, announced that after 8 years of blogging he was no longer going to be up-dating the [...]
- I’ve got some good news … and some bad news. | Red Letter Days
[...] a sadder note, the prominent left-winger blogger Sunny Hundal today announced that, after 8 years, he is bringing his work and editorship of Liberal Conspiracy to a close to [...]
- In praise of Sunny | It's not the despair
[...] Conspiracy is kind-of shutting down but not quite after eight long years. It’s a good moment to say thanks to Sunny Hundal, one of [...]
- Is Sunny Hundal the best person to lecture on journalism? » Spectator Blogs
[...] guessed from the fact that the proudest moments from his career that he lists as he winds down his blog include the claim that he ‘helped stop Rod Liddle becoming editor of the Independent’. What an [...]
- Tax Research UK » Farewell Liberal Conspiracy
[...] Sunny Hundal has been both since August 2005 – 10 months before I started. His Liberal Conspiracy blog has been widely influential since then, and an invaluable source of new thinking and comment. Now he’s retiring from regular blogging. As he says: [...]
- Liberal Conspiracy is dead – and so too’s the amateur blogger (more or less)
[...] Hundal announced on Friday that left-of-centre blog Liberal Conspiracy is coming to an [...]
- The demise of LibCon and the future of political blogging | Alex's Archives
[...] Hundal has decided to close Liberal Conspiracy in its current form. Liberal Conspiracy was undoubtedly one of the big beasts in the forest. If it [...]
- Why you have to love blogging | Flip Chart Fairy Tales
[...] always thought of as a permanent fixture packed up last week. Sunny Hundal’s decision to close Liberal Conspiracy caused an outbreak of [...]
- On Blogging | John Rentoul | Independent Eagle Eye Blogs
[...] Norm – his post was prompted by another significant change in the blogworld last month, namely Sunny Hundal’s decision to stop blogging – but he could have [...]
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.