Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments?

8:31 pm - January 17th 2010

by Sunny Hundal

1. He claims these extreme racist comments were put there by “hackers”. How did these hackers get his password to break into his account?

2. I’ve tried to find instances where he complained to moderators about his account being hacked, or distanced himself from messages supposedly posted under his name but couldn’t find any examples. Could he show any? Since Rod Liddle has met people from the messageboard at games, surely he would be concerned about his reputation being besmirched?

3. Why did he continue to post on a website where extreme racist and misogynist and anti-semitic comments were appearing under his profile name?

4. He says he was told these comments were posted from a different computer. Who told him this, and when?

5. Below is some comments made by ‘monkeymfc’. Could Liddle explain which ones were made by him, and which ones were not?

Some comments made by ‘monkeymfc’

Subject: Re: Visited Aushwitz on Saturday n/w
Posted 3/11/2009 11:02

I went a year or so back. Fcking outrageous that you can’t smoke in Auschwitz. I had to sneak round the back of the gas chambers for a crafty snout. And the Polish guide kept lying about Polish involvement in the persecution of the Jews.

Also, I wasn’t convinced by the newish Auschwitz Burger Bar and Grill which they’ve got when you go through the entrance, near where all those shoes are on display.

——–

Posted 3/11/2009 12:06

Incredible though, Wack, even the poor fcking Jews were allowed to smoke.

Subject: Re: BNP political broadcast
Posted 27/5/2009 10:46

Fabulously illogical. But yes, if I lived down the Mile End Road, or in Keighley, I might be tempted too. Until you read the early BNP/NF stuff which was in awe of Islam and highly supportive.

——-

Posted 27/5/2009 11:17

I think that’s largely rollocks. Blacks have entire tv programmes to themselves – that Desmond thing about a barbers shop, and Crimewatch.

In seriousness Tige, they come from fcking London, not Bangladesh. You are making Nick Griffin’s point for him.

Subject: RE: Somalians?
Posted 18/11/2009 10:30

“Without trying to sound ignorant I absolutely despise them. think they are pure scum.”

[two laughing icons]

Everyone else does as well, though, especially the Kenyans.

87 per cent of Somalians in Britain areout of work; more than one in three have criminal convictions. Ghastly.

Subject: Re: Old Kent Road!!!! [thread full of racism]
Posted 14/9/2009 11:53

Surely if they’re fcking the Nigerians, Somalians etc the correct term would be ni**ermeat, rather than wogmeat? You’ve got to get your terminology correct.

Subject: RE: jo owen (slag) on bnet, learning from millwall fc
3/11/2009 09:57

Stupid bitch. A year eight sociology lecture from someone who knows fck all.

You could equally say that we were similar to any group which disliked a certain aspect of society, felt estranged from it but were sure we were right. The logical extension of her argument is that the status quo is always right, which is absurd, because if that were true nothing would change.

Someone kick her in the cnt.

Subject: Dartford Memorial Thread (ii)
Posted 19/1/2009 11:29

There’s a very rapid turnover in the business these days and it’s a good two years since we last asked the important question:

“which lady newsreaders would you most like to fist?”

Let me start with Mary Nightingale…………….

Subject: Re: The English Defence League (EDL)
Posted 17/9/2009 17:13

Read between the lines, J Brady. You’re not an idiot, are you? If you read the last Labour manifesto it will tell you that they are the voice of britain – they want better for you, for your family, for everyone. Utter rollocks. So apply the same criteria to the EDL. The EDL want a ruck, simples. If that’s all you want, fair enough. I prefer the BNP to the EDL – they DO support the white working class, even if they are thick as chit, misguided and dislike Islam only because it is practised by wogs (check out their policies – could be Hizbut Tahrir).

Posted 11/6/2009 14:52

——–

Posted 11/6/2009 15:08

tiger :pointfinger:, 92 per cent of the murders in the capital last year were committed by African-Caribbean males under the age of 35. Almost all gun crime was committed by African Caribbean males. In terms of this, there is no “just so happens” about it. If you want it put simply: young black males kill people, other racial groups – by and large – do not. You cannot get away from this.

The fact that Kinsella was white proably doesn’t make much of a difference. But the overwhelming majority of violent crime in London last year was black on white (and Asian).

Subject: Re: Is this racist
Posted 1/6/2009 14:55

Put yourself to bed with a box of scotties and a photo of your gassed mother, you deluded hooly wannabe attention seeking cocksucker.

Subject: Re: BNP wins its first Council seat in Lancashire….
Posted 6/6/2009 13:31

I agree with you – and the BNP – about immigration. But it is not the only issue, or even the single most imprtant issue

Subject: Re: stephen lawrence
Posted 15/2/2008 22:58

Couple of facts:

In 1989 South African blacks were the best paid, best educated and enjoyed the highest standard of living of any blacks in Africa, with no exceptions.

In 2008 South African blacks are, in terms of health, education, standard of living, security, MUCH worse off than they were in 1989.

Dunno where that leaves Nels, aside from as a false hero to guilt-ridden white liberals.

Subject: Re: Evil beyond words.
Posted 1/10/2009 16:24

Yep, kill ‘em.

Child sex abuse: almost always the white working class. But rarely pointed out.

GladstoneScrewer replies
Child sex abuse: almost always the white working class. But rarely pointed out.

Monkey, not quite sure what your point is?

Subject: Re: Evil beyond words.
Posted 1/10/2009 16:30

If it were a crime commonly perpetrated exclusively by black people, such as rape, robbery or shooting people in the head, or by Muslim people, such as being too thick to set off explosives at an airport, then somebody would have weighed in with: burn all these fcking blacks/mozzies etc etc alive and then send them home. That’s all mate.

Subject: Re: Turkish stuff
Posted 20/10/2009 19:14

Nobody should die and ballsey’s comments are so fcking dumb they are hardly worth commenting upon. London fans die at the hands of Leeds so that makes it ok for Leeds fans to die in Turkey? Get a grip.

They were gobby yorkshire cnts who asked for it, but they shouldn’t have died. I’m on Leeds side, and was cheering Leeds on when they played the Turks. Semi-house trained Muslim savages, in my opinion. And Turkey ain’t the Levant in my book, TD

Subject: Re: Which Famous Birds… [Do you reckon take it in the Sh!tter?]
Posted 5/11/2009 10:56

Ann Widdecombe

These are the comments I’ve found or been forwarded by other concerned readers. I’m not stating all these were made by Rod Liddle, but he has admitted that the ‘monkeymfc’ login was his. He now needs to clarify whether he made the above statements.

I’ve also saved those pages to my computer.

Update: I think it’s worth clarifying my position on this issue again.
I’ve accused Rod Liddle of posting racist messages in the past, and in the Mail on Sunday he admits he posted a message I consider racist. However, in the cases above, it may very well be that he didn’t post these messages. Which is why I’ve asked for clarification on what was and what wasn’t posted by him. He has a right of reply in the comments below (which I will then highlight).

———
Credit: A big thanks to the admins of the FB group opposing Liddle’s appointment

Share on Tumblr   submit to reddit

About the author
Sunny Hundal is editor of LC. Also: on Twitter, at Pickled Politics and Guardian CIF.
· Other posts by

Story Filed Under: Blog ,Media ,Race relations

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Reader comments

Charming!

Just the person to take on the increasingly right wing Indie. He and Bruce Anderson will work so well together.

2. Sunder Katwala

Some quite plausible circumstantial evidence that this [racist] comment is a Liddle original.

“Subject: RE: Somalians?
Posted 18/11/2009 10:30

[two laughing icons]

Everyone else does as well, though, especially the Kenyans.

87 per cent of Somalians in Britain areout of work; more than one in three have criminal convictions. Ghastly”.

If you type

Somali “87 per cent” out of work

into google.co.uk

then you get the first two searches are Rod Liddle himself saying the same thing as monkeymfc on the Spectator and the New Statesman websites, in terms of the two stats he quotes, both out of work and criminal convictions.

Though his anonymised “absolutely despise …. pure scum” becomes “Somalia is one of the countries I think we are truly beholden (for reasons ancient and modern) to accept people from” when talking publicly to an NS audience

Spectator
“rod seacole liddle
November 19th, 2009 4:16pm
Hiro, I usually agree with you. But the unemployment rates among Somalis in this country is 87 per cent; one in three who have been here for more than a year have criminal convictions”.

New Statesman
“Offhand, the figures were something like 87 per cent of Somali immigrants unemployed, 36 per cent with criminal convictions. But don’t hold me to it just yet; I can’t remember where the original figures came from – I think it was govt.

Does that mean we shouldn’t have Somali immigrants? Nope, not in my opinion; Somalia is one of the countries I think we are truly beholden (for reasons ancient and modern) to accept people from.

But is it a problem? Yes, I think so”.

***
I have not identified the official source for the 87 per cent figure. it may be accurate.

A Times report just before Xmas quoted a 2008 ippr report that “barely a quarter of the working age population was employed — mostly in menial jobs”.

I’m sure the likes of Old Felchborn, Twat Munro, etc. will be along soon to tell us how this is only what all right-thinking people feel anyway, and the usual shite.

“Subject: Re: (N/W) Another Black on White Murder…was it racist as per the media.?..was it fcuk!
Posted 11/6/2009 14:52

Thinking of doing a piece which takes this case apart and explains why, on five or six different issues, the BNP (and to a lesser extent UKIP) reflect the views of the majority. Your last sentence says most of it.”

Now, if as ‘Rod’ claims, the BNP represent the views of the majority, on five or six different issues, and he takes charge of a national ‘independent’ newspaper, will he be pushing these issues? Wonder what these issues are?

Free speech in the press?
A forum for extremists?
Cultural diversity?
KKK promotional DVDs?
Millwall FC fans future education?

5. Sunder Katwala

Rod Liddle was not, as he wrote in The Spectator in Nov 2007, impressed by the the “Auschwitz burger bar ’n’ grill” .

.. he and monkeymfc would appear to be just about the only people to ever use this phrase on the internet.

He did not, however, despite his stash of cigarettes, complain about the smoking ban in the magazine piece

I’m hungry, stuck here with a tube of flavoured pork fat, a bottle of bison grass vodka and 400 cut-price English cigarettes. This is the sleeper train from Krakow to Bucharest, via Budapest, at the bad, cold hour of midnight — and there’s no dining car. Just pork fat and vodka for dinner — and lunch was a hastily taken affair at the Auschwitz burger bar ’n’ grill, just down from Crematorium No. 1, a fairly joyless place, frankly, and the food not up to much.

Some of the comments are incongruous with other positions taken by the same login name, but there is nothing particularly palatable there, he obviously has issues with black people, he is a lout.

7. So Much For Subtlety

Actually I am more appalled by the crass sexism than anything else. Which is not to say that the racism is not a problem as well.

There go his chances for the Indie job.

Congratulations Sunny.

Looks like a fair cop to me.

How bad do your comments have to be when the Hitler on sunday calls you a racist? Mind you their readers (I assume they prefer to be called that) seem very supportive.

And he edited the BBC R4 “Today” programme for HOW long? Any other charmers like him running things who we should know about?

The BBC employ Right wing Andrew Neil to do their politcal show. They employ Nick Robinson as their political reporter. They have Clarkson as their face of motoring, And they had this brownshirt on Radio 4.

Yet still the knuckle draggers say the bbc is left wing.

You can’t make it up.

Cheers, Sally. Liddle’s comments make Clarkson look like Chomsky.

It’s game over for Liddle.

Well done Sunny

Brilliant work Sunny.

This has to go nuclear now. And serves him right; never did nemesis more sweetly follow hubris.

And boy, does Catherine Bennett look like a fool now.

But hang on, isn’t it all just a joke? Where are all those people who told Cath Eliot to shut up and get a sense of humour when she pointed out that rape isn’t funny.

I’m confused. Where have all our usual trolls gone???

Sunny this is brilliant work. How do we get this into the MSM? This should be the Dan Rather of British blogs, a real scalp. This man shoulnd’t just be denied the editorship of the Independent, he should be fired from the Sunday Times and the Spectator.

“I’m confused. Where have all our usual trolls gone???”

They have gone to troll central to get their orders.

“Yet still the knuckle draggers say the bbc is left wing.”

Don’t forget Gilligan, also connected with the Speccie, Liddle-era Today and, amazingly, also in the habit of reusing phrases from his journalism under pseudonyms on websites. I reckon we’re up to coincidence, the next time this happens it’s categorised as enemy action.

Sally #11 – “And they had this brownshirt on Radio 4.”

Believe me, Sally, when Liddle was Today editor it was as PC a show as you could have wished. Pretty much every edition featured an item to the effect that ‘there are too many white men at the top in (insert industry/profession here)’.

It used to do terrible things to my blood pressure. Maybe it did terrible things to his psyche …

Good one Sunny.

21. Cheesy Monkey

Well done Sunny — I’m going to celebrate with some Belgian export beer.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz. What next? ‘Fascists are left-wing so Liddle’s never really changed?’ ‘This is the real voice of disenfranchised white working class men?’ I’ve got eight more stock bullshit excuses written out and arranged in a grid. Let’s play Batshit Bingo! Your move…

Sunny – the daft messy-haired cnut thought he could get away with it.

Where are cjcjc, Old Holborn, Tim Worstall and Tim Montgomerie et al?
[edited]

Wow, looks like you’ve properly roasted Liddle. I guess congratulations are in order.

Can I just re-state that all I’ve done is, with the help of others, find various comments posted by ‘monkeymfc’ on that website, a pseudonym that Rod Liddle admits he uses. Now he has to clarify which comments were made by him and which were not.

I’m not making any allegations though it is my opinion that he holds racist and sexist views. I also believe the above comments are highly racist and sexist in nature.

I’d urge commenters not to make comments that are potentially libellous. They will be deleted.

25. Sunder Katwala

People should read the Auschwitz thread itself.

A Millwall supporter posts that they were moved by a trip to Auschwitz: “I haven’t stopped thinking about it since to be honest. Very moving and has left me having a long hard look at myself”.

monkeymfc jumps straight in with his initial comment (as above) about the smoking ban. This is the cue for others come in with jokes about the gassing of the Jews. monkeymfc makes the “joke” quoted above about the poor Jews “being allowed to smoke”. (When criticised, he later says ‘modern auschwitz isn’t the holocaust you know” but this is a holocaust joke, as are several by other peope which he appears to defend).

When a couple of posters say the oven/gassing jokes make them sick when the initial post was serious , it is monkey who attacks them and defends the gassing Jews jokes: “maybe you could write down the things you think it’s ok for everybody else to take the piss out of and admin cd make it a sticky at the top of the board”.

The general mood of the Millwall fans is against monkeymfc on this, with the initial poster writng “Expected a bit more of a thoughtful response from you though Monkey. You visited Aushwitz personally and apart from a comment about the Poles not being honest about their role in the whole scenario you can only talk about smoking and burger bars? I did expect the juvenile schoolboy stuff from others but to be honest its moved me so much I’m still glad I posted it”.

monkeymfc half-apologises (“sorry if I offended mate”)(while calling another complaint “sanctimonious toss” which is a direct response to a poster saying the gassing jokes are “bang out of order” because “there are some issues that just aren’t funny”) monkey then responds with precisely the argument of Rod Liddle’s Spectator piece about the Auschwitz experience, including the same point about disabled access ramps.

monkey does now get more serious, recommending Primo Levi, discussing the history of the holocaust and saying that he never understod his mother’s anti-semitism.

monkey later says:

“Most popular thread of the last two days.

The Jews would be very proud”.

Sunny,

Your last message, number 24, was probably the most mealy-mouther contribution I ha heard for a long long time.

Suuny’s Quote:
“I’m not making any allegations though it is my opinion that he holds racist and sexist views. I also believe the above comments are highly racist and sexist in nature”.

This sound like the worst kind of back tracking. Remember it is you who has started at least 5 topics here suggesting he is unfit to be considered as editor of the Independent because of things he might have said.

The onus of proof is now on you to prove that he is a racist or sexist and not just a rough talker.

So, get on with it – remember, you stared it.

He is right about Primo Levi though. I am half way through his work (Levi’s, not Liddle’s- obviously I should hope). My favourite so far is “The Drowned And The Saved”.

Which reinforces my conviction that he is just an unprincipled cunt who will go along with what he thinks is expected of him. I don’t think he actually has the views monkeymfc expressed, he just did it because he thought it would win Millwall fans’ approval. The likes of Laban would like to gloat that he’s become a right-whinger over time, but I dispute that, & also dispute that he was ever left-wing.

He also needs to realise that all the right-wing trolls defend him online, but none of them will actually go out there & buy a newspaper he edits, especially because he won’t be commissioning anything right-wing.

28. Luis Enrique

Extraordinary. I used to listen to the Today Program when he was editor, and didn’t have an inkling its editor was somebody like this (if indeed he did make these comments)

Sort of highlights how weak a person Liddle is doesn’t it? That he has to change his persona to reflect the audience he thinks he’s addressing. ‘Ooh, I’m on a Millwall forum, I’d better be bigoted and unpleasant’.

He’s technically right about one thing though, there is a cafe just inside the gates of Auschwitz (or at least there was when I went, a decade ago). Which, given how utterly unlike eating I felt afterwards seemed a bit incongruous.

Ah, the old “it wasn’t me it was the internet fairies” argument. I suppose it remains possible that Liddle’s forum account was ‘hacked’, but given that Liddle could have a) deleted/edited the ‘hacker’s posts and b) changed his password to prevent future abuse, I assign it a low probability.

That said, I tend to take a somewhat situationist view of ‘extreme’ comments. The internet allows us to use pseudonyms and anonymity to say things we wouldn’t normally, and allows groups to form for the purpose of saying those things [to each other, in a controlled and self-selecting group environment]. Some internet forums contain lots of content that could be considered offensive if it appeared elsewhere, but I don’t think that using these forums to make a judgment about the moral worth of individuals is a good idea. I’m more concerned about the fact that Liddle’s ‘don’t quote me on this’ ‘facts’ are appearing on mainstream political sites where people won’t contextualise them properly.

@ 24

I’m not making any allegations

The original article is carefully worded but to claim you are not making allegations is disingenuous.

At face value you have plenty of ammunition and dragon slaying requires a steely nerve
Don’t lower your aim or you’ll miss the kill.

Rumpypumpy@26

You’re not fooling anyone. Take a cue from the wiser right-wing heads here, and beat a tactical retreat.

And good on ya Sunny, and to Sunder for all the forensics.

34. Sunder Katwala

rumpypumpy@26

I don’t see that Sunny is backtracking.

The question is now for Liddle.

The post does not yet prove anything, but it surely sets out a credible case that he may well have made most or all of these comments, unless he turns out to have a more credible explanation than in the initial (later retracted) denial to the Mail on Sunday about a particular comment, and the (implausible) story about opposition supporters impersonating him (which rather depends on supporters of other clubs already knowing who mfcmonkey is; and having a motive to damage Liddle’s reputation too). In some threads, it seems clear that some of the Millwall online contributors know who mfcmonkey is, at least that he works in the media, as with his hyper-sexist discussion about women newsreaders.

If the same person wrote all of these comments, they are the sort of person who will write that white women who sleep with black men should be correctly termed ‘ni**ermeat’ (rather than ‘wogmeat’). One can’t prove whether the writer makes racist jokes because they are racist, or whether they are just trying to impress their mates.

And to be fair to Millwall fans, the holocaust discussion suggests that monkeymfc may rather overestimate the appetite of his fellow supporters for holocaust jokes.

Any newspaper is free to decide whether or not these sorts of comments would be appropriate in an editor; the rest of us can of course decide and say what we think of that.

Um, well, you kind of are though aren’t you? By writing articles entitled ‘Rod Liddle writes racist msgs on footy website’ you’re alleging both that it’s Liddle who’s writing them, and that they’re racist.

I agree with both those allegations, or at least I think the first (an allegation of fact) is extremely likely, and agree with the second (an opinion). But they’re definitely allegations…

Sunder,

Not wishing to state the obvious, but, when someone writes 5 articles about a person’s racist views, citing them as examples for why that person should not edit a national newspaper ………… then to follow up with “I’m not making any allegations…..” well, that is clearly backtracking.

When Bill Clinton said he “did not have sexual relations with that woman” some people believed him – because the wanted to and more fool them.
Now Sunny says after writing and publishing long articles about Rod Liddle’s racist views – without bothering to include the words allegedly or supposedly in the articles – he wasn’t making any allegations.

I suggest (note I don’t allege) you diminish yourself by coming so swiftly to his aid without considering it fully.

Sunder @ 34

the implausible story about opposition supporters impersonating him (which rather depends on supporters of other clubs already knowing who mfcmonkey is; and having a motive to damage Liddle’s reputation too.

Unlike here, impersonation is impossible on the site in question.

Their system will not allow you to register and post using a name already registered so only hacking into Liddle’s computer and finding the password in his cache would allow acess.

I suppose that he might argue that the pseudonym was used by more than one poster and the password was shared but that is pretty unbelievable.

More goalpost-moving shite, Tim J?

I would have thought even the likes of you could disown this.

FWIW, I’m black and I just think he’s a fucking weakling who should be thoroughly laughed at. And I’ve never slept with a white, I’m happily married to a black woman, so he can stop worrying about superior beings like his womenfolk being corrupted. (Until the next time he assaults one of them, obviously).

38 – reading comprehension difficulties bernard? I’m not defending Liddle in the slightest, I think he’s pathetic, and that most of these postings are unambiguously racist.

40. Sunder Katwala

rumpypumpy@36

i accept some of this.

“I can’t at this stage prove the allegation that the comments are Liddle’s” would have been more precise terminology. To state that some of the comments are racist seems to me uncontroversial. The point of his post was to ask others not to cross that line, without evidence or proof.

So Sunny is putting an inquiry about racist and sexist comments to Liddle, to find out whether he owns them or not. You could call those ‘allegations’ While the evidence would appear pretty damning, and he is simply pointing out that it is currently circumstantial, and not yet conclusive and that it is for Liddle to provide an explanation.

He asking others not to think that the allegation that these are Liddle’s words is proven at this stage, however likely they might think that looks on the current facts.

That all seems fair and sensible. If Liddle offers any response it should be published in full. And if it were to genuinely turn out none of the offensive comments are his, I am sure everyone here would want to make that clear prominently too.

40 – if that is the case, then Sunny really ought to look at the previous article, where he directly states that Liddle did write racist messages. It’s no good having one scrupulously even-handed inquisitorial post, if the one directly before is quite so unambiguous.

That being said the ‘a big boy did it and ran away’ defence is rarely convincing.

pagar @ 37:

Or you could just guess his password. That is far more likely than ‘hacking into’ a computer. It’s regrettable that people bandy around terms like ‘hacking’ (which is mistaken anyway) when what they really mean is “my password was ‘password’ and someone guessed it”. Saying that you were ‘hacked’ sounds better, as it makes you seem like a victim rather than a moron.

The difficult question for Liddle here is why he did not delete/edit the comments made under his name (which the forum software would have allowed him to do), or request the assistance of a forum administrator to deal with the problem, or just change his password. If he really thought his computer had been ‘hacked’, would he really have continued to use it? Presumably he logs into other, more important, websites on the same computer. If the computer itself had been compromised, that would be very foolish.

It is a bit implausible, isn’t it, that someone figures out Rod Liddle’s login details, logs on, posts racist messages, and he then goes back on and posts other messages without noticing or caring that his account has been hacked.

Pathetic. He isn’t even man enough to admit what he said. I would say his opinion, but most likely he hasn’t got any opinions and just said whatever he thought would convince people he was a big man.

Oh, and Tim J, I just wonder why you bothered to comment at all if you’re not supporting Liddle. Unless you’re trying to obscure debate like your pal Worstall does.

Impressed with Sunny’s great work, also impressed with the relative lack of trolling here. A new leaf of Lib Con perhaps?

45. Sunder Katwala

Tim@41

Perhaps. But, there is no uncertainty about the fact of authorship, as Liddle has admitted on the record writing the message quoted in the first post to the Mail on Sunday, after initially denying it. I would say that to call that comment ‘racist’ could be considered fair comment. Liddle appears to acknowledge that he has his foot on the line at least, in saying to the paper “The language is not something I would put in The Sunday Times or The Spectator. You could do me for that I suppose.’

The caveats in this post are necessary because in that same news report, he strenuously denies being the author of a different racist message posted under the name of the same talkboard contributor. If that is his position, the possibility remains that he may deny being the author of these messages too, and perhaps to give an account of why they were posted under his username, and whether or not he did try to do anything to get them retracted.

He says: “‘If there was anything racist on the site, I would repudiate it immediately …Most of the coverage is always me arguing with racists, so it wouldn’t really fit for me to be suddenly racist”.

Sunder,

Thanks for last message which seems straightforward.

I do have a reservation about us treating the blogsphere as if it is a court of law where every every allegation is given time to be refuted. Life just isn’t like that.

If you were Rod Liddle, with jobs to do, jobs to apply for and a family to look after – would you really find the time to refute the allegations of a blogger who writes new topics about you every other day? Answer one question and another topic to answer and another and another…….A bit like painting the Forth Bridge even if you wanted to.

It reminds me slightly, only slightly, of the conversations about Obama’s Birth Certificate where people who think is smells a bit fishy make allegations that he’s a fraud and Obama quite understandably ignores them because there’s no point getting ont that kind of bus once it has started.

I don’t expect Rod Liddle to reply here but I would not be surprised if he prarodies LibCon in his blog on the Spectator where recently sent up Marcus Brigstocke’s performance on Question Time.

47. Sunder Katwala

yes – but he felt he did have to answer the Mail on Sunday’s inquiry, so it will be a question of whether the mainstream media feel the comments are newsworthy

I think the real proof in the pudding is that Liddle initially denied making any of the comments, then realised that was untenable and admitted to making some of them – not the most offensive ones, of course, which he alleged were the ones left by hackers.

Is that the most implausible defence of internet sockpuppeting we’ve seen in the UK yet? Gilligan/Kennite would be proud!

Sunder,

So might this be what these repeat topics are all about? An attempt to knock it upstairs into the mainstream media for it to become news in itself.

Perish the thought.

Yeah, 46, wasn’t that “parody” hilarious? (No- it was so bad and so reflective of his own inadequacy as to be painful).

Perhaps the fact that Liddle is so busy, working so hard, is what allowed him to magically remain unaware that his account had been hacked?

Bernard,

The parody of Marcus Brigsocke was quite funny and pointed out how in mid November he made absolute pronouncements on Question Time about temperature in 2009 which didn’t accout for the cold weather in December. It also reflected some of Brigstocke’s delivery on his Radio 4 programmes.

Isn’t it time to admit you just don’t like the guy – perhaps because he makes you suspicious of what you believe he really thinks rather than what he says he thinks?

Great work, Sunny and Sunder. In language that Liddle would understand, you got him like a Harry Cripps tackle from behind; it looks like there’s more than enough evidence there to have him bang to rights. Now to break it to the MSM – a friendly mole at the BBC might be the best method, given Liddlerod’s former life as Today editor.

Well stone the crows. Some of you lot, well the majority in fact need to get a grip. You have no real proof Liddle posted all if any of those posts, you also by spying upon a forum have no idea of the manner in which these comments were made, they could have course be tongue in cheek. It’s also interesting to note that only Monkey’s posts have been posted up and not anything that he may have been responding too!!

Get a life you sad people!!

“Bexy”, I don’t believe you. Simple as that.

Let me clarify what I said above (which was badly phrased).

I’m not stating that Rod Liddle wrote all the messages posted above. I said in a previous article he wrote ‘racist messages’ because in that one he admitted to writing a message I consider racist.

In this thread, I’ve highlighted lots of messages written by ‘monkeymfc’ and its not clear whether Rod Liddle wrote all these messages or not, and how his account was hacked etc. Hence the series of questions. I believe Rod Liddle has a lot to answer for.

PS – this is now the top story on the Media Guardian site:

Sunny,

Congratulations. Is “He created the Top story on the Guardian Media website” a worthy epetaph for your headstone?

So Rod Liddle is a racist because you consider him to be. Found guilty in blogsphere because people think he is a racist, not because he has proven himself to be one.

I’m no defender of Rod Liddle, he makes me frown and chuckle in equal measure, but I do think we are on dodgy territory if accusations are based on hunches rather than proof. And it isn’t up to the accused to prove his innocence – in this country at least.

If some blogger out there were to start a campaign asserting you were a paedophile because they thought things had said were a bit iffy and you hadn’t convince them that you were not – you would quite rightly be outraged and so would I. However it would only be an extreme version of blog name-calling wouldn’t it?

It seems pretty clear to me that Rod gets a bit of a thrill talking dirty with Millwall “hard men”. I bet he does not mean what he says, he just says it because he is pitiful. Whether that makes him suitable national newspaper editing material though is a moot point.

58. J Alfred Prufrock

Changing opinions from far-left to far-right to suit whatever situation he wants, I’m reminded of that other idiot of politics, Mussolini… thankfully Liddle is yet to take control of a country and gather his own personal cult following. Although by the looks of “Bexy” (@53) he’s getting there.

59. Sunder Katwala

Rod Liddle comments on Comment is Free. He says he did write the Auschwitz comment: I find his account of that thread rather partial and misleading

He also says

“In short, I loathe racism – as even a cursory look at the site will show you. And I’m almost certainly several degress to the left of both you and many of those posters you attract. But this fascism masquerading as anti-racism devalues your argument, I reckon. And fascism – of an admittedly minor sort, I admit – it certainly is“.

womdering wha Sunny will have to blog about post Liddle….wonders whether Sunny has any ideas of his own or just borrows narratives from other people

I’ve just read the Greenslade thread and can’t believe Liddle’s hurling himself about like a punch-drunk who wants more.

Isn’t he just the true face of the Establishment? I dare say some at the top are cross because he’s giving the whole ruddy game away.

As someone who has defended Rod Liddle (just a little) in the past, this looks pretty cut and dried, and you’d think it’s ‘curtains’ for Liddle’s future prospects.

If there is anything I might suggest to the forum in general is that this was Liddle in his private capacity as his ‘avatar’ like alter-ego ”Monkey”.

I don’t support Millwall, but started reading this website occasionally when I happened to come across it after the Southwark Park festival was halted in the summer after violent youths started trouble at it.

I did a link to that page on the Pickled Politics website. I was intrigued by the culture of those people. I knew people like that years ago, and still work with some white working class blokes who have similar attitudes.
Liddle identifies with that Millwall terrace culture.
Liberal Conspiricy type concerns are above the understanding of people on that site.
It’s a class and cultural disconnect.
It’s not to excuse Liddle. But maybe you have to try to understand their world view. (It’s not pretty).
Not all of them are racists. But racism is tollerated on their website.
It’s a difficult thing for liberas to get their heads around, but it’s how they are.

Very typical of Greenslade to give Liddle the benefit of the doubt, saying “I know him and he can’t possibly be a racist” – why do journalists insist on trying to cover each other’s backs, like Catherine Bennett miserably failed to do the other day? – but it’s clear that Liddle has been rumbled. Even the right-wing trolls that usually defend racists here have given up trying to defend Liddle.

Sunny

I assume this is the first time you have happened across Millwall Online? Firstly this site has nothing to do with Millwall FC it is a fan site completely independent of the club.

Secondly, most of the posters on the site know each other either through the site or before signing up.

Almost everything on the site is tongue in cheek, BUT whenever racism is brought up there is always fierce debate, you have highlighted snippets of conversations that have over 150 responses and many times what may be deemed as racist is actually a retort to highlight the stupidity of a previously voiced racist comment.

If irony is beyond your Liberal sensitivities, I suggest that is your issue and highlights your own intellectual shortcomings and not that of any poster on Millwall Online.

However, thanks for the publicity, always good to have inaccurate stereotypes reinforced isn’t it.

One last point, if everything posted on the site is so true, I would like to point out that I personally have made comment about having a foot long (I guess 30cm long to you) penis.I am heterosexual and happily married, but the publicity is always good.

Re Rod’s comments on “newsreader fisting”, I would like to nominate Kate Middleton as my “fistee”.

Sunny, C U Next Tuesday.;)

C’mon, his is excuse is clearly BS. When he found out his password had been guessed, and someone was posting this under his name in an attempt to smear him, why didn’t he change it straightaway?

They don’t -sound- like fake rightwingery posted with a view to incriminating somebody. If they are, they’re implausibly cunning, and he’s stupid for neglecting to change his password. Who would have such an agenda against him?

Reactions: Twitter, blogs
  1. irene rukerebuka

2. Seán

3. Mark Best

RT: @libcon: :: Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

4. sunny hundal

5. jimbobthomas

6. ben goldacre

some last pearls from the next editor of the independent http://bit.ly/6bjxll via Sunny, who is inexplicably " @pickledpolitics "

7. JamieSW

8. Jacky Grainger

RT @libcon Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be 'Isn't he lav-er-lyyy?..isn't he won-der-ful?'..

9. Rob Fahey

Someone's found Rod Liddle's account on the MillwallFC forum. There's a torrent of racist, bigoted shit to be found. http://bit.ly/85Rlep

10. Ari Magnusson

11. Leon Green

RT @pickledpolitics RT @libcon: :: Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

12. ciara leeming

RT @bengoldacre: some last pearls from the next editor of the independent http://bit.ly/6bjxll via Sunny, who is inexplicably " @pickled …

13. Henry Scowcroft

@zammo but not, potentially, as nasty as this man http://liberalconspiracy.org/2010/01/17/did-rod-liddle-also-post-these-racist-comments/

14. MartinSFP

Liberal Conspiracy has found some rather vile forum posts by possible future Independent editor Rod Liddle http://bit.ly/5o24tx

15. Anna Span

Don't let this guy run The Independent newspaper! :RT @libcon: :: Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

16. Nick Lewis

17. David Ritter

18. Chris T-T

19. iPhone Addict

Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://icio.us/jaga50

20. Robert Steadman

RT @tom_watson: RT @pickledpolitics: 'Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments?' http://bit.ly/7sv6be ?

21. Tanners1977

Why shouldn't Rod Liddle be editor of The Independent? Try this: (via @libcon) http://bit.ly/4AYKfj

22. paulstpancras

23. Madam Miaow

Former BBC R4 Today editor and Independent hopeful RT @libcon Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

24. Left Outside

RT @libcon Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/4AYKfj

25. Campbell

Did #Rodliddle post these #racist comments? WTF! http://twurl.nl/ewkm5u

26. Adam Rutherford

Some seriously classy comments frm that shit-4-soul turd who'll edit the surely doomed Independent http://bit.ly/6bjxll RT @pickledpolitics

27. Tom Williams

The Rod Lidl campaign exposes him as true scum, it seems: http://bit.ly/5o24tx (via @MartinSFP) (via @christt)

28. Donald Lamont

RT @BevaniteEllie: RT @pickledpolitics our piece asking whether Rod Liddle had made these comments: http://bit.ly/7sv6be please RT…

29. cross magahy

RT @pickledpolitics: Thanks to all who RT'd our piece asking whether Rod Liddle had made these comments: http://bit.ly/7sv6be – any more …

30. Paul Sagar

RT @LibconDid Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

31. Adam Bienkov

Rod Liddle. Oh dear. http://bit.ly/6bjxll

32. Nicholas Stewart

Rod Liddle. Oh dear. http://bit.ly/6bjxll /via @AdamBienkov

33. Suave

RT @AdamBienkov: Rod Liddle. Oh dear. http://bit.ly/6bjxll

34. All Quiet...

35. The Vibe

36. darryl1974

Hopefully this walking mid-life crisis has finally bitten off more than he can chew RT @AdamBienkov Rod Liddle. Oh dear http://bit.ly/6bjxll

37. sunny hundal

@charltonbrooker have you seen this? 'Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments?' http://bit.ly/7sv6be

38. Charlie Connelly

RT @all_quiet: Same old Millwall, always racist :-( RT @AdamBienkov Rod Liddle. Oh dear. http://bit.ly/6bjxll

39. Juliet

Oh Rod Liddle, you really are a terrible cunt. http://bit.ly/6bjxll

40. 5 Chinese Crackers

RT @davidokeefe: Liberal Conspiracy » Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

41. Liberal Conspiracy

:: Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

42. Tweets that mention Liberal Conspiracy » Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Liberal Conspiracy, irene rukerebuka . irene rukerebuka said: RT @libcon: :: Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be [...]

43. Matthew Taylor

If true, can Times & @The_Spectator keep him? RT @libcon Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

44. GuyAitchison

45. topsy_top20k_en

:: Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

46. Steve Akehurst

RT:Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be /via@libcon<<stop this shit of a man bcoming Indie ed,join fb group

47. ShaunTrevisick

48. Claire Butler

RT @libcon Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

49. ben goldacre

some last pearls from the next editor of the independent http://bit.ly/6bjxll via Sunny, who is inexplicable @pickledpolitics

50. Tom Major

51. Teresa

52. Jon Reed

53. Neil Austin

54. Tom Major

55. Not Sure

56. Mark Pack

57. Jenny

This is the kind of man they are making editor of the independent http://bit.ly/6bjxll disgusting.

58. Tony Burkson

RT @markpack:Is Rod Liddle the new Grant Shapps? Here's an unconvincing story: http://bit.ly/82DY8G. this is the guy about to edit the indy?

59. Liam B....bad joke

Oh very, very dear. :-D RT @libcon Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

60. sunny hundal

@Glinner Hi Graham, interested in: 'Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments?' http://bit.ly/7sv6be ?

61. Sara Bedford

RT @markpack: Is Rod Liddle the new Grant Shapps? Here's one unconvincing password story: http://bit.ly/82DY8G

62. Daniel Selwood

63. Steve Lawson

RT @MartinSFP: Liberal Conspiracy has found some vile forum posts by possible future Indie editor Rod Liddle http://bit.ly/5o24tx [WTF???]

64. John Sutton

Well that's me never buying another copy of the Indy, then: http://bit.ly/6bjxll

65. Sam Allen

66. Gillian Kirby

Oh Rod Liddle, I used to fancy your byline pic when I was 15. http://bit.ly/6bjxll And you're a cuntstack.

67. Sunder Katwala

@pickledpolitics v.interesting coincidences between monkeymfc comments & Liddle pieces: see my comments in thread http://bit.ly/7sv6be

68. Patrick Garratt

RT @robfahey: Someone's found Rod Liddle's account on the MillwallFC forum… torrent of racist, bigoted shit – http://bit.ly/85Rlep

69. Michael Jones

70. Mags L Halliday

71. Stephen Kelly

RT @libcon Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

72. tom_watson

73. Chris Paul

74. Jim Mortleman

Probably. But I'd say they were more Sadowitzian -> RT @pickledpolitics Did Rod Liddle post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

75. Paul Burgin

Fab post by Liberal Conspiracy regarding Rod Liddle and those racist comments http://bit.ly/6rVaI1

76. Johnny Turner

waiting for Rod Liddle to explain before he takes the oligarch's ruble to become "editor" of Independent: http://bit.ly/6bjxll. Just saying.

77. Milena Buyum

78. Political Scrapbook

RT @nextleft: very interesting coincidences between "monkeymfc" comments & Liddle pieces: see my comments in thread http://bit.ly/7sv6be

79. sunny hundal

Thanks to all who RT'd our piece asking whether Rod Liddle had made these comments: http://bit.ly/7sv6be – any more help appreciated

80. Ellie Gellard

81. earwicga

82. David O'Keefe

83. Disco_Infiltrator

RT @libcon Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/4AYKfj

84. Debra Rees

85. Bert

86. Paul Sagar

87. Matthew Teller

RT @charlieconnelly @all_quiet @AdamBienkov Rod Liddle: oh dear http://bit.ly/6bjxll <Racist ranting from next ed of Independent?

88. All Quiet...

89. Tom Hewitson

90. James Easton

91. Russell Williams

Just caught up with the Rod Liddle story – http://liberalconspiracy.org/2010/01/17/did-rod-liddle-also-post-these-racist-comments/

92. Charlie Connelly

93. Joseph Bush

94. Samantha Shepherd

this post by @pickledpolitics actually made me feel quite unwell http://bit.ly/7sv6be

95. Mike Gerrard

RT @charlieconnelly: In case you missed this last night… RT @all_quiet: RT @AdamBienkov – Rod Liddle. Oh dear: http://bit.ly/6bjxll

96. Vince Tennant

Wowsers… That Rod Liddle is far more offensive than I first thought: http://tinyurl.com/yg56ye3

97. unslugged

98. torybear.com

RT @pickledpolitics: Morning! I have a question: Did Rod Liddle post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be < deep shit for liddle.

99. Andy1120

100. Chris Paul

RT @tweetminster: Rod Liddle, potential future editor of The Independent, is accused of racism. Again. – http://bit.ly/7sv6be (via @tory …

101. blatherdotnet

102. Jon Swaine

Taxi for Liddle.. Maybe one with a siren? RT @pickledpolitics: A question: Did Rod Liddle post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

103. Hannah Mudge

RT @libcon Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/4AYKfj

104. James Meadway

105. Biene Maja

106. stjimmyster

RT @tweetminster: Rod Liddle, potential future editor of The Independent, is accused of racism. Again. -http://bit.ly/7sv6be (via @torybear)

107. Jimmy Leach

108. Saqib Khan

109. Saqib Khan

110. Jack Hart

RT @torybear: RT @pickledpolitics: Morning! Did Rod Liddle post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be < deep shit for liddle.

111. Alex J. Thomas

112. Karl Smyth

RT @GuyAitchison: RT @libcon: :: Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

113. A Genius

Ooh, LIDDLE now in hotter water: http://tiny.cc/xIQaf

114. jdc 325

RT @RealBoswell Ooh, LIDDLE now in hotter water: http://tiny.cc/xIQaf

115. CarolAnne Murphy

How does this man live with himself? Disgusting RT @RealBoswell Ooh, LIDDLE now in hotter water: http://tiny.cc/xIQaf

116. josephjedwards

Rod Liddle status: still a cunt. http://bit.ly/7toOOy (not us all Millwall fans are like Rod Liddle, honest)

117. Tom Parry-Jones

Liddle seemingly not a fan of, as he says, "niggermeat": RT @pickledpolitics Did Rod Liddle post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

118. Simon Thompson

RT @jonswaine Taxi for Liddle. Maybe one with a siren? RT @pickledpolitics: Did Rod Liddle post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

119. Richard Kirby

120. Rob Mansfield

The man is incorrigible RT @Rose_Darling RT @RealBoswell Ooh, LIDDLE now in hotter water: http://tiny.cc/xIQaf [Yikes...]

121. John West

Instructive post on Rod Liddle by Liberal Conspiracy. http://bit.ly/7toOOy

122. sunny hundal

123. Chris Paul

124. Andrew Denton

RT @pickledpolitics: Morning! I have a question: Did Rod Liddle post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be <– Blimey

125. TweetMinster

126. Alberto Nardelli

127. Tim Greenhalgh

128. Marie Xen

129. Warren Pearce

Very weak excuses from Liddle for racist comments under his log-in http://bit.ly/7sv6be Post by @pickledpolitics

130. Paul Carter

RT @jonswaine @pickledpolitics: A question: Did Rod Liddle post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

131. Archie Bland

oh god RT @jonswaine Taxi for Liddle.. Maybe with siren? @pickledpolitics: Did Rod Liddle post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7sv6be

132. Simon Jones

This Rod Liddle business stinks of 'Sad middle age man living out childish fantasies of being a hard man' http://bit.ly/6sZUCr

133. Gez Kirby

RT @tweetminster:Rod Liddle, potential future editor of The Independent, is accused of racism. Again. – http://bit.ly/7sv6be (via @torybear)

134. Jahomstradamus: Rod Liddle to be arrested « Al Jahom’s Final Word

[...] Rod Liddle to be arrested Filed under: Nostradamus Lives — Al Jahom @ 11:55 am Some bloggists have got their kecks in a twist about some ‘racist’ stuff Rod Liddle apparently wrote on a Millwall FC message [...]

135. Nichola Arnold

RT @RealBoswell: Ooh, LIDDLE now in hotter water: http://tiny.cc/xIQaf

136. Tim Ireland

Did Rod Liddle also post these racist comments? http://bit.ly/7toOOy (IMO: yes)

137. Rev. Diva Schematic

@glinner have you read this? (Not kept track of Twitter today) http://tr.im/KOqW Rod Liddle news.

138. Where is the freedom in speech? « The meanderings of a mammal

[...] knows what the consequences of his views expressed on the Milwall FC site, discussed on Liberal Conspiracy will be?  Is he going to take responsibility or not?  If these posts were made in his own time [...]

139. Rose Darling

140. Liberal Conspiracy » Exclusive: EDM against Rod Liddle; admits to nasty comments; more emerges

[...] asked in an earlier post when he found out his login was hacked and whether he told others this had [...]

141. Rod Liddle's anti-Semitism exposed | Left Foot Forward

[...] tip: Sunder Katwala Share | Permalink | Leave a comment Click here to cancel [...]

142. Linky Love: 19th January 2010 « Left Outside

[...] Liberal Conspiracy – Did Liddle post these racist messages?: When the Mail on Sunday first approached Rod Liddle yesterday about comments posted on the MillwallFC site under the pseudonym ‘monkeymfc’, he denied posting some of the inflammatory comments. I often get opposition fans logging in under my name to try to embarrass me. I wouldn’t go near the racist ones. It’s worth pointing out that registered members of that messageboard can only post under specific usernames with a login. No one else can pretend to be a specific user unless they know the password. We’ve done some digging and found very vile comments posted there ‘monkeymfc’, and have some questions for Rod Liddle. He said the comments had been made by a hacker. Later he admitted making some comments, though not all. [...]

143. Rod Liddle: Anatomy of a Bully « Bad Conscience

[...] must have felt especially silly even by the end of Sunday, however, when Sunny posted messages on Liberal Conspiracy that appeared to show Rod Liddle using the alias “monkeymfc” to write extreme racist and [...]

144. Where you won't read all about it ... | Left Foot Forward

[...] last weekend on Liddle’s comments on a football website (a story further developed by blogs such as Liberal Conspiracy over the last week). Niche titles such as the Jewish Chronicle have been [...]

145. Independent newsroom concerned by possible Liddle appointment | Left Foot Forward

[...] that Lebedev’s number one choice for editor is a certain Rod Liddle, famed by accusations of racism, misogyny and, anti-Semitism. But how are staff at the paper reacting to the news? And what impact would the [...]

146. Liberal Conspiracy » Help us raise money for an ad against Rod Liddle!

[...] other messages were also posted on the Millwall site under the name ‘monkeymfc’ – which Rod Liddle has yet to explain (instead the site has now hidden most of those [...]

147. Scumgate

[...] I don’t know why, but I (and several others) certainly think I’ve seen this defence before, somewhere. Moreover, Guido has helpfully pointed out that the fact tweets cannot be edited blows an awfully [...]

148. James Morgan

@MichaelCox No hadn't seen that. he's such a fucking cunt. And a Millwall fan to boot, you catch this? http://tinyurl.com/yg56ye3

149. Alex

In case you were wondering "who is this Rod Liddle cunt and what form of liberalism does the cunt espouse? http://t.co/ayjnzOD2

150. Jon S

151. Chris George

152. Ellie Mae O'Hagan

The @libcon vs. Rod Liddle saga continues http://t.co/N3UObcEw Wouldn't be surprised if Liddle takes a contract out on @sunny_hundal soon…

153. Shantelle

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.