2:52 pm - August 5th 2009
Fewer than one in 16 rapes reported to the police results in a conviction in court, research by the Liberal Democrats has revealed.
The Liberal Democrats today called for up to 15 more Rape Crisis Centres to be opened across the country, and for more money to be invested in centres that provide medical care and counselling to the victims of sexual assaults.
Their other proposals to prevent violence against women, unveiled today, include:
- Investing more in Sexual Assault Referral Centres to provide forensic medical examinations and counselling.
- Rolling out classes about rights and fair treatment in relationships in schools with organisations like Relate
- Providing better systems in schools and social services for children and adults to report abuse
- Ensuring that women living in refuges can continue to work
Liberal Democrat women’s spokesperson Lynne Featherstone said:
The low conviction rates across the country in rape cases are nothing short of a national disgrace. We the worst rape conviction record in Europe.
Victims of sexual violence need the help and support offered by Rape Crisis Centres to help them come to terms with their ordeal and to increase the chances of successfully prosecuting their attackers.
The system for dealing with rape is rotten at every level. It is little wonder that women have so little confidence that their attacker will ever be punished.
The proposals form part of the Liberal Democrat Policy Paper ‘Real Women’.
The paper also recommends that airbrushing in children’s adverts should be banned.
Chris is a regular contributor to Liberal Conspiracy. He is an aspiring journalist and reports stories for LC.
· Other posts by Chris Barnyard
Story Filed Under: News
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.